Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Green energy for SVG

The following is a letter I penned in March 2008 to send to the SVG newspapers. I don't believe I got around to sending it. I recently came across it and decided to publish it. May be some one would relay this info to the SVG government. There is something else SVG nationals can do. We can all invest in a company that would supply solar or wind power to the island.
This is a great way to create employment for many people and at the same time generate some funds. You can make an investment for your children/grand-children, so that they would still have some connection to the island. This venture will reduce the electricity cost to all home owners on the island. It will also save the government a bundle because of the reduction of oil for the electrical generator.

The editor:
I have tried to get Vincentians involved in solar energy for a several years now. All I hear from them - including my brother - is electricity is expensive. Yet they do nothing about it, except to complain. I don’t think they have any reason to complaint now. It’s time to act. All it takes is a few neighbours to get together and raise the money to generate electricity for their homes.
I am sure the bank will give them the fund based on the loans to enhance their properties. They would never have to worry about the price of oil, and the money they pay to the government will go towards something they own.
Eggy Richards was the first to seriously look at solar energy some years ago. I hope some one else will pick up the torch and carry it. The resources are there, all that’s needed is to harness the product.
As a matter of fact the government should seriously start looking at wind power. There is enough wind on the Windward side to generate electricity for the entire island.
I hope to see your editorials doing just what this document wants to accomplish: Enlightening the population and the government.

2 comments:

Bequiaman said...

The Palmer Blog;

Our business of marketing prompts us to reply.

Therefore in my opinion in relating to "Green Energy" is as follows. Many a private company from outside SVG or the Caribbean are interested in presenting a sound business plan for wind or solar power for SVG, thus allowing the public, who are the people, who are the government of SVG to positively win.

Over our 34 wonderful years of being associated with SVG via hearts, souls, minds and culture I feel strongly that the people would approve a GREEN ENERGY solution.

Bequia Marketing would be interested in speaking with a Green Energy CO-MINDED SVG business in 2009.

www.bequiamarketing.com
gerry@bequiamarketing.com

Palmer's Blogging Sphere said...

Hi Gerry:
Thanks for your feedback. I am sure you know from experience how the government and some Vincentians operate. Hence I would avoid the government and some Vincentians like the plague.
There are many benefits and a several pit-falls. However most can be avoided with a clear and legitimate plan. Like minded people would have to get their heads together and work things out. Believe me it can be done. Some thing else to keep in mind: The entire Caribbean can be your market.
I spoke to a few people about it a few years ago, but they never showed any interest. Now the Americans and several other countries are looking at wind and sola it may open their eyes. It’s a hard sell, but like I said it can be done.